Reviwing the whole list of packages and their license designations, several inconsistencies were found with the designation of the package licenses on the site. This resulted in the follwoing actions, in order to appropriately designate license information:
- The license LGPL2 was splitted into two:
- GNU Library General Public License, Version 2; and
- GNU Lesser General Public LIcense, Version 2.1.
- Three new licenses were introduced:
- BSD Like (See COPYING or LICENSE for details) - for all licenses which look like BSD, but include some additional clauses or modified statements;
- Two-Clause BSD - for licenses which include only the first two statements from BSD license;
- FLTK License - LGPL Version 2 with some exceptions;
- Public Domain - not actually a license; rather it means no copyright and and no license is needed;
The license designations of the following packages were changed:
|Name||Affected versions, revisions||Old designation||New designation|
|OpenOffice.org BG||>= 3||LGPL 2||LGPL 3|
|Speex||All||GPL 2||BSD Like|
It's strongly advised to always check the license statements of all the packages, which you install and use. However, in future more strict control will be enforced on the correctness of the license designations on the site, in order to avoid misleading information.
We're sorry for any inconvenience.